Structure 1.1 Introduction to the particluate nature of matter
Structure 1.1 covers the following concepts:
- Elements, compounds and mixtures
- Separation techniques
- States of matter
- Changes of state
- Temperature and kinetic energy
- Elements are the primary constituents of matter, which cannot be chemically broken down into simpler substances.
- Compounds consist of atoms of different elements chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio.
- Mixtures contain more than one element or compound in no fixed ratio, which are not chemically bonded and so can be separated by physical methods.
Element, compounds and mixtures - this video has an overview of elements, compounds and mixtures.